Self-Assessment Essay

Before I took this course, my writing process was very simple. When I have an idea, I just start writing. I don’t outline in advance, and a lot of times my first draft is my final draft.

I sometimes start writing as soon as I’m assigned, so I don’t have to worry about it when I’m done. On the contrary, I start writing a day or two before the deadline or even spend more time writing on the last day. I like to write freely, and when a lot of novel ideas come into my mind, I will write them down. The rules of writing make me feel too formal, and I can’t seem to find the fun in it.

When I took the FIQWS, 10115 lecture class, my understanding of writing changed. I realized that I needed to improve my writing ability because it was different from writing in high school. A lot of college writing requires reading a large number of articles, so I need to take every writing task seriously to improve my writing level. Another important thing is that as a freshman, I found that there were many students in my school who wrote very well. This aroused my competitive spirit, and what moved me was the enthusiasm of the professors and classmates in this class. They often help me and give me feedback on my essay.

I believe I have achieved the purpose of the course this semester. I find that I can accurately express my ideas when writing Language and Literacy Narrative essays, but my articles are not sufficiently informative. This is a piece about my writing in and out of class. I compare my writing experience as a child with my writing experience now. I introduce how I became interested in writing in my childhood. Through the feedback from professors and classmates, I added dialogues to the article, which made my article seem more fulfilling and close to life. I am a freshman, And since the first semester of college is online, I have a hard time making friends. But this course changed the situation and enabled me to make friends while studying. I used a Group formulated Analyses of Audre Lorde to explore and analyze rhetoric situations with my members. Through this print and digital technology, we know that this is a speech piece, and the audience is women who remain silent in times of danger. This group activity enabled me to make more friends, and I also learned their reading skills. When I learned key terms and strategies, I read James Baldwin’s “The Creative Process,” in which I used that technique to analyze and write a summary and response creative project Essay. About an Annotated Bibliography Essay, I learned how to use CCNY’s library and the Internet to find sources of research. At that time, I did not know how to write in MLA format. In order to better practice how to write MLA format, we conducted group activities to study together. My biggest problem in this essay is that I have found sources related to my topic, however, I don’t know how to select a quote that is more relevant to my topic. So I quote a long passage from each source, and then I repeat in my own words what the quotation means. When I submitted this essay, the feedback I received was that I was saying the same thing over and over again, and I didn’t have to worry about it, I needed to start thinking about my research paper. Regarding how to select a strong quote, I also turned to SEEK Pal Tutor. The professor told me to quote some representative conversations or some data, etc., which are strong evidence of your topic. Therefore, I further learned how to choose a strong quote to prove the theme of the paper.

The research paper was the most challenging essay for me. Because this is a rigorous piece of writing, I need to spend a lot of time reading research sources and revising my article. Then I realized that developing strategies for reading, drafting, revising, and editing can be reduced to a lot of problems. Examples include grammatical errors, digressions, references that don’t match the text, and so on. My Annotated Bibliography Essay is an outline prepared for my research paper. With the help of this article, I focused on how to smoothly integrate my research sources with my articles. This is also my most challenging task. In the beginning, I was at a loss because I didn’t know how to make the whole article seem coherent. After the first draft of my submission, my classmates read my article and suggested that I should do better in this respect. I also learned by replying to my classmates’ first drafts that I could use transitional sentences to link my research sources with my topic. This keeps my sources of research from becoming obtrusive. I enjoyed the activity of students replying to the first draft of each other’s paper because I can learn a lot of skills from others’ articles, and I can also know whether my own articles are inadequate or not. With this help, I finished my research paper a day or two before the deadline. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment because I feel like I’ve learned a lot.

Through this course, I learned the importance of creating an outline, which can make my paper more coherent and efficient. In the outline, I need to spend more time and energy to prepare the materials I need. When I start to really write, I don’t have to worry anymore, because everything is there and I just need to make the whole thing flow more smoothly. I learned that an outline is essential for good writing. In my future writing, I will draft an outline in advance to help me write higher-quality writing.